Monday, July 13, 2015

Time to make some early predictions ...

With the start of SEC Media Days it's time to make some season predictions -- and this year's a little different for me.

After spending most of the last six months only working free-lance, I didn't really keep up with a lot of spring football. So to compensate I've probably done more research to prepare for the start of the season than ever before.

I have no idea if that'll mean my picks are better or worse than usual.

Last year I had Alabama winning the West, SEC title and advancing to the inaugural playoff. My other three teams were Oregon, Florida State and either Oklahoma or Ohio State, depending on when you asked me (it was Oklahoma in the early summer and Ohio State before Media Days started).

However, that's pretty much what everyone else had.

This year is much trickier, especially with the SEC West being so loaded (see my Bleacher Report column on that -- link to be provided when it posts). Granted, I might change my mind on one or two before the season starts, but here goes:

- The winner of Baylor/TCU runs the table and ends up the No. 1 seed for the playoffs. TCU is the safer pick, but with so many returning players I'm going with Baylor for now.

- Ohio State drops a game, but makes the playoff as the No. 2 seed.

- Southern California returns to prominence and wins the Pac-12, travels to the Orange Bowl to face the Buckeyes.

- Alabama takes two losses but still represents the SEC West in the league championship and squeezes into the playoff. Destination: The Cotton Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment