Friday, July 17, 2015

SEC Media Days

So the annual craziness known as SEC Media Days has come and gone, and not only was it the usual  exhausting exercise for those of us who went all four days, but it's definitely grown past the point that it has a life of it's own.

I was asked on a a radio show if I could ever see the day that the SEC doesn't do media days any more and the answer is clearly no. It's gotten too big, so big that I wouldn't be surprised if moves in the near future to a bigger city.

Personally, I hope I'm wrong about that because Birmingham is only an hour drive for me.

Some observations from this year's event:

1) With ESPN involved it's become more of a production than ever. You couldn't spill a drink without hitting a TV camera.

2) Despite all the hoopla there was almost no news that came out of media days other than the news that it directly created (order of finish poll, All-SEC selections, etc.).

3) Put me down as impressed with new commissioner Greg Sankey's opening speech. However, it's pretty obvious he won't be quite as open in terms of access as Mike Slive.

4) There was absolutely no buzz about LSU. I'm still trying to get used to that.

5) The number of people interviewing media personalities was ridiculous.

6) I actually heard someone say that the "shoe war" was the story of media days, and meant it.

7) The highlight may have been national writers Andy Staples, George Schroeder and Dan Woken on the Paul Finebaum Show.

8) I don't care if you think Nick Saban was making excuses or not, he made a good point that draft evaluations shouldn't happen until after the season is over.

9) The best tweet may have been about the Dr. Pepper fountain being on the fritz by @MattScalici. For those who don't know joking about unlimited Dr. Pepper, and not voting Mississippi State last, really is a media days tradition.

10) I'm always a little sad at media days when I realize who isn't there due to newspaper buyouts and cutbacks, etc. This year was no exception.

11) To me the most telling thing was Auburn brining quarterback Jeremy Johnson. Gus Malzahn clearly has his guy, and the coach had his best turn at the podium yet.

12) For for the first time during my career I can honestly say that there was a significant increase in the number of female reporters at a major event I was covering. It was terrific to see, and long overdue, even if it was more on the social media and TV side than with the number of writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment