Thursday, May 7, 2015

Trip Down Memory Lane, Part I (2006)

One of my summer projects, besides figuring out what I’m going to do with the rest of my life, is to pare down my personal library of things I’ve written -- which isn't as easy as it sounds. 

Your see, years ago, before ESPN/Disney and Apple started taking over the world, or Skynet, if a reporter wanted a copy of anything he or she had published in a newspaper simply printing it out wasn't an option. He or she would have to get that edition and physically cut it out, and then do that each and every day. 

Some of you will be surprised to learn that we had to buy the paper as well. Yes, we had to pay to have a copy of our own work. 

For roughly 20 years I did this. We’re talking thousands and thousands of stories, which were stored in binders that I’ve been lugging everywhere I’ve moved. Alas, considering a lot of the stories are notes and at this point things that are probably best forgotten I’ve decided to scale things down a bit.


However, when I look at some of them my jaw drops. I’ll share some of them here.

These are all from stories I did for the Tuscaloosa News in 2006, as is the photo from above when Mal Moore announced that Mike Shula was no longer the football coach at Alabama (BTW, that's me in the front row on the right side).


Aug. 26 – “Little-known Spaulding an integral part of Tide”
That’s long-snapper Luke Spaulding, and yes I went with the obvious Caddeyshack lede.

Sept. 14 – “Full speed ahead: Special-teams player is making his mark”
His name? Rashad Johnson, the walk-on at running back who became an All-American safety.

Do you remember Nikta Stover and Will Oakley starting at wide receiver?

Oct. 19 – “Ready or not, Barnes is Bama’s backup”
Jimmy Barnes was promoted when Marc Guillon quit the team six games into the season.

Dec. 25 – “Christmas in Shreveport”
The Independence Bowl was homecoming for linebacker Zach Schreiber.

Dec 27 – “Insurance Policy”
No. 37 Trent Dean was Alabama’s emergency quarterback for the Independence Bowl. Had John Parker Wilson sustained an injury running back Jimmy Johns would have been inserted as option one.

Dec. 28 – “One Final Run”
Heading into his final game, Kenneth Darby needed 251 rushing yards to break Shaun Alexander’s career rushing record of 3,565

Joe Kines at the Independence Bowl. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment