Wednesday, May 20, 2015

More than just "one door closes ... "

I wasn't going to post anything about this, but I'm still exhausted and my head is reeling a little so maybe writing will help me get a better grasp on things. 

I essentially spent last week with my sister in Minnesota getting everything out of our parents' house (the photo is of the front door knocker), and we were so busy I never really had a chance to think about anything -- like how an important phase in my life was coming to a close. 

Being in career limbo I already had the following quote going through my head, which has since been amplified: "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell

We had moved in as a family in 1971, and nearly 45 years later finally said goodbye. 

Every Christmas Eve my father used to play music in the house overnight, so during my final night I played music off my battery-powered laptop. Somewhat fittingly there was a wind storm and the power went out in the early-morning hours. I awoke to no heat when it was 40 degrees out (no exaggeration even though it was mid-May). 

It was also a week of essentially not being on the Internet, which was obviously very unusual for me. While subsequently catching up three things jumped out:

• Former Alabama defensive lineman Jesse Williams, now of the Seattle Seahawks, was diagnosed with kidney cancer. "Although disappointing, I am a fighter and will handle this," Williams said in a statement. "I am going to focus on my health and fighting this battle with a return to football as my ultimate goal. Thank you for your thoughts and support. Go Hawks!"

One of my initial reactions was that I should post something to show support. Williams, the Australian who stuck out a little in Tuscaloosa with his mohawk and tattoos, is 24. I know Crimson Tide fans everywhere wish him all the best in overcoming this huge hurdle. 

• The writer in me couldn't help but zero in on this from Charlotte Magazine -- "A writer, a hermit, and Oreo cookies: The strange and sad tale of Cole Waddell's first magazine story."

I thought I should blog about that as well.  

• Overshadowing all of that was the tragic death of a friend from the University of New Hampshire, Michael BarrettMichael was a huge sports fan and someone I would run into at the Frozen Four. More than that he was just a really good guy. 

So now I'm left with heartache. Last Tuesday he lost control of his car and hit a tree. He was married and had two daughters.

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment