Thursday, April 16, 2015

Remembering a Lambeau legend who was one of a kind

On Thursday I was very sad to hear of the passing of Lee Remmel, who was the executive director of public relations for the Green Bay Packers when I covered the team from 2000-03. This was before the press box at the renovated Lambeau Field was dedicated "The Lee Remmel Press Box," but after he was enshrined into the Packers Hall of Fame.

In my mind Lee was essentially the Packers more than anyone else, even the players and administration, and quite a character. He could tell you anything about nearly anybody ever in the organization and just about everyone in the press box could do an impression of his very distinctive deep voice ("Let me tell you about Brett Lorenzo Favre ..."). One of a handful of people to attend the first 40 Super Bowls, Lee was around for the franchise’s first head coach and founder, E.L. ‘Curley’ Lambeau, who had a record of 212-106-21, spanning 1921-49.


I once asked him a question about Bart Starr and not only did he give me enough anecdotes to fill a book, but within minutes all but handed me the phone with the Hall of Fame quarterback on the other end. I think Starr and I talked more about the respect everyone had for Lee than the subject of the story (which was Johnny Unitas), and then again when our paths eventually crossed on the University of Alabama campus.    


History was usually a popular theme whenever the Packers played the Chicago Bears, and Remmel always drew the most attention. Before joining the Packers in 1974 he had been a sports writer and columnist for the Green Bay Press Gazette for 29½ years. When I was there he had seen the league’s oldest rivals play 113 times. I don't know what number it finally reached, but for years every time I saw the game on TV the broadcast always made sure to include a shot of Lee watching from the press box.


I did a feature on him in 2002, when Soldier Field was being renovated to look like a UFO crashed into some ruins and the annual visit to Chicago was played 135 miles south at Memorial Stadium in Champaign. The University of Illinois had a large agricultural department and there was livestock across the street with the wind blowing, making it truly unforgettable game. But the Packers won 34-21, so Lee was happy.


Lee loved to talk and tell stories, and we loved listening to them. He will be missed.


Packers.com game him a nice writeup if interested: Packers icon Lee Remmel Dies at 90 

No comments:

Post a Comment