Saturday, December 31, 2016

As we say goodbye to 2016 ...

I know a lot of people are not going to look back at 2016 with a fond eye for a variety of reasons. However, I nonetheless have to give some real thanks on a professional level.

For starters, during the latter part of the season I was bumped up in status to national college football columnist at Bleacher Report, for which I'm incredibly thankful. I'm excited and eager for that next stage of my career.

In December I was named one of three finalists for sportswriter of the year in the state of Alabama by the National Sports Media Association. I was truly honored and humbled to be on the ballot with some incredibly talented people.

As previously mentioned I landed best columnist from the Alabama Sports Writers Association this year, which quite frankly meant a lot to me.

Finally, I had five books published during this calendar year, including a national championship book (Sweet 16),  an update on 100 Things Crimson Tide Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die and three Major League Baseball trivia books. All of the teams made the playoffs and one won the World Series.

I'm not saying I helped the Chicago Cubs break their epic jinx, but I obviously didn't hurt things. Maybe I was good luck.

Regardless, as for 2017, I might have another book coming out soon depending on how the College Football Playoff turns out, and I'm looking forward to challenging myself in new and exhilarating ways. I've been researching and studying a number of writers and their approaches for some time now for one project in particular, and hopefully I can finally pull it off.

So onward to 2017, and Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment